One way in which I am glad to be like my mother:
Jacklyn: One way I am glad to be like my mother is I have her humor and her somewhat surreal view of life.
Steve: In my mom I see a rather childlike concern for the wellbeing of people who are poor or homeless and I think I share that quality of hers. I think we are also both finding ways for our empathy to manifest in mature ways, meaning that we are both finding ways to take useful action and to be of help.
I also see that certain simple things can make both of us very, completely, happy. For me it's something like the goats at the state fair; for her it's discount potted flowers that she buys at the end of the season.
I guess that's two things.
Manuel: I don't know if "glad" is the word, but we're both complex and full of contradictions.
Phoebe: To say that my relationship with my mom has been rocky would be an extreme understatement. I rebelled against everything that I thought she was, blaming her for all of my problems. Then one day I realized that despite my traumatic childhood, I am grateful for my mother because she gave me the greatest gift a parent can give a child...the belief that anything is possible - that I can go anywhere and do anything that I want - and that I can make my dreams come true, all of them. To my amazement, there aren't many people who recieve this gift from their parents....so to my great surprise and delight, I am lucky to have gotten my amazing mother!
Erin: There are many things I'm glad to have inherited from my mom, but I think my favorite is her ability to just let go and be totally goofy. I know I do this a lot when she's not around, but when we are together it's a lethal combo. Sure, we may get questioning stares from the annoyed people around us, but when you're laughing so hard you can't breathe, it really doesn't matter!
Chris H: She wants to make the world a better place by giving her time to those in need. She inspires me to be more like her in this respect. Thanks Mom!
Dan: Every morning as I get up and trod off to the bathroom to start my day, through my haze of sleep, I face the sink and look up into the mirror to see my mothers eyes. Deep blue eyes that stare back at me. They only physical remains of her that embrace my everyday life. Her/my eyes are a deep penetrating blue that cry easily/ sensitive to light and noise- these eyes take in the world in at 360ยบ glance. Seas of emotions flow in and out of them:storms, quiet streams, blinding light - in an blink - she is there.
Meghann: I am happy to be like my mother in so many ways, but I'm most grateful that I have inherited her ability to appreciate people's differences. That, and her excellent taste in music. I couldn't really pick just one.
John: It was at my mother's side that I learned to make pie crust from scratch. Her recipe was 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup Crisco, with just enough cold water to get it to come together. The water is the tricky part; too little and the dough will be dry and prone to cracking when you roll it out, too much and the dough will be tough, not flaky. Today I use a recipe that calls for a LOT more fat, mostly butter, plus a tablespoon of sugar. But I still use my mom's technique to crimp the edges, and on the rare occasion when I make a pie, like apple, with a top crust, the vents I cut in the top are in the wheat-ear pattern she taught me. On my right shoulder is a tattoo of wheat, partly in honor of that pattern and good old Mom.
Stephanie: One way in which I am glad to be like my mother: We were raised in a politically aware and health conscious household and I do have to say that I am happy to say that I am very much like my mother when it comes to food and politics. Although she tends to experiment a little bit too much with the food on holidays, which can be hits or misses. I am not like my mother in that regard.
Winslow: i have no fear of dancing like a cuckoo bird in the kitchen. anyone's kitchen.

No comments:
Post a Comment