Sunday, March 22, 2009

mirror ball 10: gratitude

A very full year is ending. I bet-- I hope-- all of us have something for which we are grateful. Maybe it's something you were able to do, something someone gave you, something that happened... I invite you to share it on the mirror ball.

Tanya: What I am grateful for right now is not anything that can be seen, or heard but it can be felt. I am grateful for the ability to trust that life gives you what you need, when you need it. It took me many years to learn this, and I still have my moments of doubt, but when I truly trust in the process of life It is apparent that I always have all that I need. The people in my life are exactly who they need to be... the experiences ( both joyful and heartbreaking; exciting and frustrating ) are exactly what is needed for my growth at the time. The biggest lesson is remembering this when life appears to be other than what you wish it would be. I have learned to listen to the "little voice" and to trust it and say "yes" even when I don't know where it will lead. It usually leads to something perfect!

John:
I could write quite a list! I'm grateful for:

A roof over my head.
Food on the table.
Employment.
My health and Steve's health.
Getting domestic partnered, and having the best guy ever to do it with.
Daisy the cat, who made an adorable, snoring lump under the covers.
Therapy and yoga.
A trip to the dahlia gardens.
A nice getaway trip to the coast.
Two fun Third Rail shows.
An election that went the right way.

Here's to a peaceful, happy New Year.

Dave: I don't know if this qualifies for Mirrorball, but it may be of interest to all your contacts interested in the visual arts (Steve the photographer included of course).

I came across this 'call for entries' message on the Web from an art organisation in Berlin called BLUTENWEISS. When I say organisation, I really mean an artist run affair that floats around different German venues putting up very temporary exhibitions. They specialise in 'drawings' but in the loosest possible way. Anything that can make marks is drawing. The submissions are extremely diverse and sometimes quite anarchic.

I was drawn to this (no pun intended) and put some things in. It made me pick up pencils and pens again, forget about anything I had previously been involved in (in an art sense) and just have fun like I did as a kid, scribbling away at any old idea that popped into my head. This was such great fun.

One of the main points about the Blutenweiss exhibitions is that the artist remains anonymous until the work is sold. All that kind of information is on the reverse side of the art work. This forces people to actually buy what they genuinely like rather than just investing in 'names' for some future financial gain. The exhibitions are open to everyone and not just professional artists.

For this chance experience, I feel some GRATITUDE, as it inspired me to do something similar here in England. We've set up an exhibition to be held in an ancient building called Dragon Hall in Norwich with free and unlimited entries, with no commissions charged on sales. It's a totally non-profit making exhibition run by volunteer artists for the benefit of other artists and art lovers called TROIKA 7 ('small art') to be held in the last two weeks of May 2009. The art works have to be tiny … no bigger than postcard size (6" x 4") but can be in any media. All the details are on the web site. Maybe some Mirrorball people might like to take part and pass the web site around.

Info from me david.davies@ymail.com web site www.troika-arts.net ....

Phoebe: I am grateful for:
My friendship with you, Steve, and all other like-minded friends!
My boyfriend, Thomas
My years of sobriety and the self sufficiency that has come with it
My Mom, Sister, Brother and Aunt
My apt, job, and always having enough money to buy dinner!
New York City, Brooklyn.
Snow!
The end of W in the White House!!!!!

Steve: I'm grateful to have a job; I'm grateful for my sweet husband; I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to work in Mexico for a week in May; I'm grateful for my house; I'm grateful for all the friends and acquaintances who agreed to be in my photos and am grateful for the use of a great space to photograph in. Also... I'm grateful for having more courage this year.

Garrett:
I, Garrett Chingery, being of sound mind and body, am grateful for a full head of salt and still mostly pepper hair.

Winslow:
I am grateful that Barack Obama is going to be our next president! ! ! I am grateful for all the support I have received from family and friends during my move to Los Angeles this year.
I am grateful for my many friends who inspire me to do better, work harder, think more thoroughly.
I am grateful for the stupendous car I bought this year!
I am grateful my father was so patient in teaching me (again) how to drive a stick shift.
I am grateful for so many friends in so many cities! I am grateful to feel at home in a number of places! What a lucky girl.
I am grateful for the opportunity to continue to do what I love: act.

No comments:

Post a Comment