Monday, August 31, 2015

mirror ball 91: next life

If you could choose what or who to spend your next life as, what would your choice be? Why?

If you would prefer to leave it up to some other power to decide, why?

Tanya:
This one is soooooo...easy!!!

In my next life I want to be a black Diva soul singer. You see, I know I have an inner Aretha; when the music begins I feel her swelling within me just bursting to be set free...my body is gyrating, I am feeling the Spirit with every fibre of my being. The rub is, I open my mouth and there is a profoundly sad disconnect between what I am sure is surging through my body and what I hear emanating from my vocal chords. Something always goes terribly wrong as the sound rises out of my body. If only it sounded the way it feels I would be overcome with joy! So there you have it. Hands down, next life I choose to be a Soul Sister!

Dave W:
I've thought a lot about this topic for the last week and I can't escape the first answer that came to me:  If I could choose who I would be in my next life, I would choose to be myself.  But a higher-evolved rendition of myself.  A person who, as a youth, would not be as fearful of his father, who would stand up for himself to bullies (both for himself and for others), who would not worry about what other people thought, who wouldn't be afraid of being known as "smart", who would understand that applying oneself in athletics is going to cause pain but that the pain is temporary and the benefits long-lasting, who would not be afraid of asking girls out and putting his heart on the line and who would go away to college.  Far, far away.

Jaime:

As I slipped on my threadbare, but favorite jeans today, the ones where the belt loops have almost been completely torn off the pants themselves, I realized, that's it! I want to come back as a well-worn and beloved pair of blue jeans. If you put out of your mind for a moment, the fact that your owner's crotch and behind will rub up against you for hours at a time, and possibly for years on end, I hope I can help you come to understand the unconditional bond that forms between a person and their favorite pair of jeans.  As the perfect pair of denim, I would be loved from the moment I was tried on in the fitting room to the day I would sorrowfully be donated to Goodwill. Only as a pair of jeans would I be loved more and more with each passing day and wash. Each iteration in my life cycle would bring my owner new-found happiness, confidence, and comfort. As my texture and structure change over time, perhaps a tear here or there, or a bit of fading, I could be reincarnated again and again. I would be appreciated for the familiarity I offer, and yet the newness that comes with my ever-changing appearance and fit. When the time comes for us to part, it would be with sadness, but also with the hope that I would offer my next owner the same joy and satisfaction experienced during our time together.

Okay, this may have been a stretch, but it was fun to think about.

Steve:

I like Kristine's approach to this theme, so here's my answer-- in this moment:

I would like to spend an incarnation as a cherry tree. Each year I'd spend a season covered in beautiful blossoms, and then I'd let go of all of the petals in breezy pink flurries. I'd make delicious, juicy cherries for lovers to feed each other and for parents to bake into pies. And then I'd get to just hang out for a while, under the radar, maybe a few birds nesting in my branches now and then. And do it all over again, year after year, until it's time for my next life. 


Kristine:

in this moment this is my answer---

a cloud
ever changing light reflecting
fastly moved hanging still
light and fluffy
dark and menacing 
here then gone

No comments:

Post a Comment