Friday, October 18, 2013

mirror ball 68: what are you proud of?

What are you proud of? Is it something about who you are? Something that you have accomplished?

Dan:
Proud moments:
    Seeing the life-long friend in the face of a stranger and acting on it - sticking with it.
    Facing my father after long absence and confronting him man to man on past issues - and then accepting him as he is and he in return - accepting me.
    Bathing my dying mother as she looked at me in horror - wanting me not to see her vulnerable self - and me continuing - comforting her with my gaze.
    The moment I said good bye to the past and decided to literally run into the arms of a stranger - that I knew would be the start of my life's fulfillment. 

All in all - those moments when I am present and can actually see what is before me and let it be - make a choice and engage in life. 

Dan part 2:
There once was a lad from Omaha,
who was silent as if in a coma;
then one day his voice curled forth,
it rose like a lark and flew North,
and now you can hear him from New York to Takoma.

Valerie:

I am proud of going up the mast of our sailboat in the boatswain's chair. Thirty-five feet in the air, my husband and sister hoisted me, to retrieve a halyard which had gotten loose from the top of a sail. It was scary and nervy and glorious. I hung on tight. I was strong. When the boat moved and I swayed, 35 feet in the air, I didn't scream. I hung on and laughed out loud.  I did all the stuff required up there, then came down again. My heart beat faster. And I am proud of  myself. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Anna:

I am proud of taking a scary leap of faith by leaving the security of my corporate job to chase my dream career as a human rights advocate and campaigner. 1 year of post-grad uni is now complete (as of this week!) and a huge future has opened up in front of me.

Steve:
I am proud that this year I conquered my resistance to exercise and exertion, and that I am getting stronger and fitter month by month. I'm so happy to have found that I can enjoy the process and the effort. I am grateful to be feeling more at home in my body. 

On another level, I am proud that I am trying more new experiences in general. Some of them are changing my beliefs (for the better) about who I am and what I can do.

John:
I'm proud to share that at the terribly advanced age of 51 years I'm completing a training program to be a yoga instructor. Thanks to the training, I actually can pat myself on the back (but congratulations from others feel even better).

Chris H:
Right now… I’m proud of my parents. They found a spark after recommitting to each recently.

Angus:
I am proud of the new relationship I have developed with my heart and the listening I have for its steady rhythm and sage advice. Thump thump you good thing.

Stephanie:

I am proud that I have made it this far in graduate school. My health has taken a beating, but there is an end in sight. I am also proud that I am still moving closer to my original goal of making a more profound impact on individuals in my community.

Heather H:

I have finally grown enough as an individual to believe in myself & speak out on the adult abuse I’d been dealing with alone for 17 years. I was forced to be an adult at 17yrs old due to the abuse. I’m so happy I’m finally strong enough to recognize the situation, separate myself from it, and encourage others who are dealing with it. Finally, I have some answers to help others move out of the abuse & forward with their lives : )

No comments:

Post a Comment