Thursday, December 27, 2012

mirror ball 58: movies

please answer one or more of the following:
 

Which movie makes you laugh every time?
Which movie makes you a little swoony and/or riled up with its hotness?
Is there a movie in which you would like to be a character? If yes, why?


Charles:
Would like to be Serpico in Serpico. I'm always attracted to characters (and people) who do what they know to be right while everyone around them is doing the opposite. This is the movie that made me want to be an actor so many moons ago. And Big Al's performance. Wow.

Tanya:
Okay, I am going to cheat...this is not a movie, but the only thing I have ever watched that makes me laugh every time is "I Love Lucy"! Really no movie has ever had that effect on me, and I can watch the episodes over and over and still I laugh out loud! I love that! Genius!
Hands down the movie that makes me, I will say "swoony", (but I am really thinking hot!!) is "Unfaithful". Oliver Martinez has me at hello, and he is my absolute fantasy fling!! (I have a thing for Latin men I realize).
As for being in a movie...several. Some Woody Allen films for the sheer fun of it; great New York apartments, neurotic Jews, funny quirky characters, crazy adventures. "Enchanted April" because who wouldn't want to spend a month in a villa in Italy with servants and cooks and fabulousness!? Then perhaps a Fellini film for good European sixties nostalgia, and I always enjoy a great Merchant Ivory period piece...I want to live in the stunning castle in the lush English countryside wearing sumptuous costumes and being attended to...I want to be the mischievous baroness who gets seduced by the stranger who comes to visit!! Now I will add one more, the movie that fills my heart and makes me smile every time is "Cinema Paradiso". Pure happiness!!
Lori M:
Lately, the movie that makes me laugh every time is a kids' movie called Surf's Up.  It's about penguins who surf.  My son and I like to watch it a lot, and we laugh out loud.

Kristine:
there are times when i see people on the street or subway who are wrapped up in their sad lives and seem so distressed, or are deep in thought with a problem or a decision- it reminds me of wim wenders' film- wings of desire. i would like to be in this film and be an angel who can rest an invisible hand on a shoulder and bring comfort.

Dave W:
Ah, movies. The Great Escape. My favorite films include, in no particular order, "Dead Poets Society", "The Graduate", "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Cinema Paradiso" among many others, too many to name here. But the film that sits atop my list and will be there forever more, is the stylish, slick and highly entertaining "North by Northwest". It has it all: action, romance, intrigue and most of all, very intelligent dialogue. From the moment I watched it as a child, I dreamed of being in the movies, one way or another. And it is because of the dialogue and Hitchcock's visual direction that I watch this movie at least twice a year. And, naturally, it contains the character I would most LOVE to play: Roger O. Thornhill, played masterfully by the one and only Cary Grant. He's charming, witty, honest, thoughtful, skeptical, humorous and when Eve Marie Saint makes him fall in love with her, proves his sensitivity and humanity by feeling pain when she betrays him. Damn. I think I may just have to go pop in my DVD...

Laura Liz:
Movie in which I'd like to be a character:
I'd love to play almost any character in Serenity. I've always loved sci-fi movies, and one with strong roles for both females and males gets big points with me. Plus some of those one-liners are just so gloriously cheesy! An old episode of The Twilight Zone would also be rad.

As far as hotness goes, Breakfast On Pluto definitely has some swoon-worthy moments (Cillian Murphy genderbending and Liam Neeson as a priest? Hello!) and I'm strangely attracted to Frances McDormand in Fargo.

Steve:
I could probably answer these questions differently on different days, but this scene from "Party Monster" always makes me so happy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876it-SdWHc
"Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion"-- another movie about two kindof daffy but optimistic and steadfast friends-- does, too.

Joe Dallesandro
As for movies and hotness, I'd have to go with (1) Ewan MacGregor in "Velvet Goldmine", covered with glitter as he gets naked on an outdoor music festival stage, and (2) the beautiful, dazed, un-self-conscious Joe Dallesandro, surrounded by ridiculous and fabulous fellow East Villagers in "Trash", 1970. To me, maybe the most succulent guy ever to be in the movies.

I wouldn't especially like to be a character in "Fairy Tale: A True Story" but I would like to live in the house that the family lives in-- in an English village, streams and fields all around, and fairies living in the attic. Come to think of it, wandering around photographing magical things, as a couple of the characters do, sounds pretty wonderful, too.

Phoebe:
Little Miss Sunshine makes me laugh like crazy everytime. The grandfather character is especially hysterical. 
Swoony is White Palace with James Spader and Susan Sarandon. They are both so hot and the chemistry is amazing. It's one of my all time favorite movies. Super hot movie is hands down Crash by Cronenberg, and of course The Secretary. Yes, I love love love James Spader!
This will be no surprise, and not very original, but I have always wanted to be Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's. I have been carrying around a framed still image of Holly looking through the Tiffany's window for over 20 years. It came across the country with me. Another great movie, that I watch over and over again because I want to step inside the film, is The Apartment. I'd love to live in a world where Shirley MacLaine is an elevator operator.

No comments:

Post a Comment