Monday, October 29, 2012

mirror ball 56: again, gratitude

On the East Coast of the USA a hurricane is raging. Across the country (and perhaps the rest of the world) many of us are weary of the bitter climate of political campaigning (and suspense).

What better time for the mirror ball project's now-and-then recurring theme of Gratitude?
 

What are you thankful for right now? What makes you happy, or reminds you that you are blessed?

Laura Liz:
In the midst of a really intense first term of graduate school, during which I've seen over half of my cohort cry, I've been able to find peace and comfort in simple things. When I need a little extra comfort, I watch an episode or two of My So Called Life because I've known those characters for so long that they feel like old friends. I am grateful for my very comfortable bed, and my skill at maintaining foodie status on the cheap. I am grateful for the people who I have met in my program, some really compassionate beautiful people who are genuinely excited to spend the rest of their lives helping people. I am grateful for the faculty, that they share their years of expertise and wisdom with us. Most of all I am ever-grateful to the clinic clients. I hope that I can give them half as much as they give me. These folks are stigmatized and face so many challenges, and they continue to keep working hard just to access a fraction of the communicative ability that I so often take for granted. They share the most beautiful moments with me and I love celebrating their triumphs with them. They are so patient with me (I'm a brand spankin' new clinician with very little previous experience with children). I am honored and grateful for the connections that I've made with them and I can't wait to meet my clients for next term!

Lori F:
I am grateful for my memories - how my parents went the extra mile to make every holiday - especially this time of year - seem so magical and extra special. I am grateful that I now get to do the same for my children.

I am grateful that we have a roof over our heads, warm food to eat, and cozy beds to sleep in every night.
I am grateful for my husband and my gang of friends who are my sisters.
I am grateful for laughing so hard you struggle to take a breath.
I am grateful for quiet times, silence is good.

We are so blessed. I am grateful for the life we have together.


Kristine:
we are coming upon my favorite holiday---thanksgiving.
maybe it is that voice that says "be thankful you have two arms and two legs"

maybe it is my mother who made us write a thank you note for every gift received
for every dinner invitation but...
giving thanks is important to me and feeling gratitude is something i try to touch 
each day.
it has been a hell of a week and a half in new york city and i am tired i am cranky and 
i have a cold and i am so damn thankful!
i have a home, i have my life, i have my friends and family safe, i never lost heat or power 
or had water flooding my little apartment. and today i hear my subway line has started chugging along (the L) oh yeah...
and my president (who gets it) is going to be my president again!
so much to celebrate! so much to be thankful for...
and also so much work we can do to make others have a place where they can feel the gratitude, too.
and steve--thank you.

[editor's note: my pleasure; thank you too]

John S:
This past September I turned 50 years old. When my birthday arrived, I was in the process of directing a play (the second in my directing career), "Mother Courage and Her Children" by Bertolt Brecht. It's a huge play, spanning two decades, with about 30 characters, AND it has songs played by a live band, AND it addresses big philosophical ideas. I found as I steered the creation of this production, with 13 actors, 6 designers, and 3 musicians, that I actually had the experience, knowledge, and (perhaps most importantly) values that I needed to make informed decisions about everything from how a scene should be staged to how to handle a high-strung artist having a meltdown. I had skills! These only came with time, and I'm so thankful that I have lived long enough to draw on all that experience and use it to reflect what I've learned back to the world.

Steve:
Alphabet of Gratitude
A- Art and Artists.
B- Bodies (Beautiful)
C- Cats (Domestic). Color.
D- Dinner with friends. Daphne (Scent of).
E- Eccentricity.
F- Fresh Air. Flannel (Shirts; sheets). Fighters (see also: Survivors).
G- Gingerbread. Goats. Grapefruit soap.
H- Husband (mine). Humor.
I- Irreverence. Imperfection.
J- Jasmine (Scent of).
K- Kindness.
L- Lilacs.
M- Massages. Music.
N- New friends.
O- Old friends.
P- Patience. Picture books. Phallic symbols.
Q- Queer pioneers and iconoclasts.
R- Romance.
S- Survivors. Sincerity. Spontaneity.
T- Tea. Therapists.
U- Understanding.
V- Vicarious thrills. Vacations.
W- Weekends. Warmth (Blankets; Homes; Human).
X, Y, Z- ?

Dan:
Quiet & Cold Gratitude - Hurricane Sandy Aftermath from the Jersey Shore 11/2/12
-that my house is standing
-the bowl of hot pasta in front of me
-the lack of electric power reminds me just how powerful I am.

-my dog & husband and every quilt ever made for me to keep me warm durning the night
-freedom from the media
-my neighbors generator - that let's me check my email once a day.
-freedom from email
-grateful for the numbness in my toes reminding me to move around - get around and move the blood.
-grateful to take the time to make this list and spend the power of my laptop to communicate to a community built on understanding, love, and willingness to listen.
-I"m grateful for my dear friend Steven H. who is Mirror Ball - we reflect the light when it is there and wait in the darkness for something shiny to pass and reflect to others.


[editor's note: I believe the mirror ball is made of all of us. But thank you.]

Lori M:
I am grateful for my good health and the good health of my parents, my husband, and my son.  My close-in team is strong at the moment, and I feel blessed.

Tanya:
I am filled with gratitude for the amazing, transformative weekend I experienced in Sedona with 34 powerful women! As a co-facilitator of this retreat I stepped into my power as a woman, as a spiritual guide, and as an artist of the soul. I returned filled up and "giddy in love" with life itself!! I am grateful for the shift that happened in every woman who shared this rich experience and for the joy of my spiritual community. My heart is full, and I am grateful! 

Chris H: 
Grateful for the love and friendships in my life.  I recently lost a good friend in a sudden accident.  His spirit and the memories we shared give me perspective, opening my heart to the beauty around me… reminding me to stay present and to cherish the life and love that I have now.  Rest in peace Brett.

Kevin:
I'm grateful for your reminder.

Phoebe:
I am thankful to have survived the storm with a roof over my head, electricity, and to be in an area that hasn't flooded. Many others are not as fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment