You and a loved one are invited to an imaginary mirror ball gathering.
Our setting is an autumnal clearing in a forest, after dark. Hundreds of chandelier crystals-- and a ruby-red mirror ball-- hang from the branches overhead, catching moonlight and candlelight. Tarnished candelabras illuminate little tables placed here and there in the clearing, and each table offers an array of fine and curious foods and drinks. Music for dining is provided by crickets and an elderly lady accordionist, while post dinner dancing will be accompanied by a variety of live music-- dizzying, melancholy, lusty, and/or sweet. Expect Dixieland jazz and Moroccan electronica, among others.
What will you wear-- is it a magical disguise or simply your favorite old clothes? Who will accompany you, if anyone? Would you be willing to bring food or drink to share, and if so, what would it be?
Tanya:
John:
You will be able to see me arriving to the gathering from way off, because I plan to wear my wonderful suit of flame, with matching flaming gloves and wide-brimmed hat. I'll be dancing as I approach, and you'll see the arc of my whirling arms as I jitterbug. My coat pockets will be full of shelled hazlenuts, perfectly toasted. The brim of my hat will be piled with red and yellow peppers, new potatoes, and sweet corn in the husk, all scorched to perfection, ready to be peeled, chopped, and tossed together.
I'll give flaming hugs that won't burn (magic!), and when I clap my hands sparks will fly up in the shape of dragonflies.
As it grows late my suit, gloves, and hat will turn to blue flame, then embers, and finally ash. As the sun comes up the suit will fall from my body with a soft noise, and I'll lay down naked to sleep, with my friends nestled all around, keeping me warm.
Lori F:
My favorite time of the year.
Crunchy leaves under my feet, red and orange glow - cold but warm at the same time.
I am by myself, carrying a to-die-for Middle Eastern dish to share with new friends, smelling of jasmine and sweet curry. I am by no means a cook in real life, but this is a dream, right?
I am wearing a yummy red coat, like the darkest red can get before it turns black. It is velvety, soft, comes down to my knees, keeping me toasty in the cool night air.
I am dancing, eating, drinking and laughing, sitting on a blanket, listening to music, candlelight bouncing off of friendly faces all around me.
This is delicious.
Steve:
I think I'll wear a pair of brown suede pants and a red velvet shirt embroidered with mirrors from India.
Since my dear husband already has his own invitation, I think I'll bring Joan from "Mad Men" as my extra guest.
For my food contribution: a homemade flan, awash in burnt-sugar sauce and scattered with edible gold leaf and three sugared violets.
Tanya:
I will arrive, slightly late, wearing a long flowing cape of crushy aubergine silk-velvet (so as not to disappoint my old friend Steve).
I will bring a smile on my face and a wide-open heart ready for experiencing joy and magic.
Because I never come empty-handed, I will bring a delicious fresh fig and mascarpone tart laced with almond paste and organic honey (my favorite thing to make when my tree is in bloom), and some homemade Limoncello from my private label.
As my guest, I will bring my daughter Maya, who I think will most appreciate the whimsical decadence of the evening...you will recognize her as the ravishing dark beauty atop ridiculously high stiletto's as only a 16 year old can or would.
I will think to myself how wonderful it is to share this life with creative souls with wild and fertile imaginations, and I would not have it any other way! Steve, you sure know how to host a party!
Kristine:
i will bring a platter of figs, cheeses of all sorts, african honey and black cherries in a syrup with cardamom and star anise. a bowl of spicy almonds and a bowl of olives and there will be breads from a stone oven--warm, yeasty and chewy, golden and crispy...what to wear what to wear?!?
from alexander mcqueen's 2007-8 autumn collection---a beauty called "in memory of elizabeth how, salem 1692". it is a burgundy bodice of molded leather over a skirt of burgundy chiffon--rather then the leather mask(just a tad too too for me) i will wear a chiffon veil with a close cap of pheasant feathers. to ward off the night chill a cape of plum and rust velvet. (with which i can warm john when his flame goes out..) John:
You will be able to see me arriving to the gathering from way off, because I plan to wear my wonderful suit of flame, with matching flaming gloves and wide-brimmed hat. I'll be dancing as I approach, and you'll see the arc of my whirling arms as I jitterbug. My coat pockets will be full of shelled hazlenuts, perfectly toasted. The brim of my hat will be piled with red and yellow peppers, new potatoes, and sweet corn in the husk, all scorched to perfection, ready to be peeled, chopped, and tossed together.
I'll give flaming hugs that won't burn (magic!), and when I clap my hands sparks will fly up in the shape of dragonflies.
As it grows late my suit, gloves, and hat will turn to blue flame, then embers, and finally ash. As the sun comes up the suit will fall from my body with a soft noise, and I'll lay down naked to sleep, with my friends nestled all around, keeping me warm.
Lori F:
My favorite time of the year.
Crunchy leaves under my feet, red and orange glow - cold but warm at the same time.
I am by myself, carrying a to-die-for Middle Eastern dish to share with new friends, smelling of jasmine and sweet curry. I am by no means a cook in real life, but this is a dream, right?
I am wearing a yummy red coat, like the darkest red can get before it turns black. It is velvety, soft, comes down to my knees, keeping me toasty in the cool night air.
I am dancing, eating, drinking and laughing, sitting on a blanket, listening to music, candlelight bouncing off of friendly faces all around me.
This is delicious.
Steve:
I think I'll wear a pair of brown suede pants and a red velvet shirt embroidered with mirrors from India.
Since my dear husband already has his own invitation, I think I'll bring Joan from "Mad Men" as my extra guest.
For my food contribution: a homemade flan, awash in burnt-sugar sauce and scattered with edible gold leaf and three sugared violets.

No comments:
Post a Comment