Sunday, March 7, 2010

mirror ball 23: happy today

something that made me happy in the last 24 hours:

Valerie:
A nephew's face when we convened over the remains of a dinner we had made; he said, "It's all so GOOD!" or some such. Smile.

So tired after a long demanding stretch, we went to the rainy beach though my inclination was to sit and knit and doze. Wind blew away the cobwebs, and I found such delight in picking through the gritty wet sand to find lovely stones to tumble, and sea glass to enjoy in the glass dish at home; walked close to the foam and watched it wash in and out over sand and stones and detritus.

John:
Today Steve and I re-arranged the rose bushes in our front yard -- removing two that were never quite healthy, moving one to a different spot and adding three more, to make a real "rose garden" area. Late afternoon, fresh spring air, both of us on our hands and knees in freshly turned earth, tamping the soil down around our new rose bushes. I said to Steve, "I like doing this with you."

Phoebe:
Two events made me happier than I've been in a long time. The first was the birthday spanking I received while tied up in a door way, by over 20 different people. The second was having brunch with a bunch of my friends at my favorite restaurant the next day.

Dan:
At 1p.m. yesterday. I got up from my desk and my school work.
Put on my running shorts and ran for an hour on the boardwalk.
58ยบ and Sunny - Snow gone - all I saw was the waves hitting the sand.
All I felt was the sun on my pale face and my feet slapping the boards.
My face was pulled upward and the corners of my mouth were reaching for my ears.
Spring is inevitable.

Garris: Well... there were two things that made me happy in the last 24 hours. The first... I baked a cake. I love to bake for friends and I made a red velvet cake (with sour cream frosting and a "red carpet") for a weekly Sunday night potluck that I do with some of the greatest people in the world. We made it an Oscar party this week (probably the only way I would watch the Oscars anymore.) The 2nd thing that really, really made me happy in the last 24 hours was crawling into bed with freshly laundered sheets on it... I LOVE that.

ghostwriter: This made me burst into laughter this morning. The whole 3+ minutes is funny, but my crack up occurred 1:16 - 2:16.

Amy:
Isaac dropped everything to take a moment to connect with me, and tell me he loves me.

Linda:
Grape hyacinths poking up through the dirt today. And the perfect beauty of a baby tapir.

Lori:
I got a voicemail message from a friend yesterday, and in it she described the moment her 6-year old daughter opened the birthday gift I gave to her. I made her the sweetest little girl dress out of fabric that I had designed-- it even had a white underskirt. I spent the good part of a week making it. Well, she opened it up, immediately stripped off all her clothes, put on the dress and jumped and twirled around the yard. I can't think of any better affirmation of my handiwork.

Whitney:
the smell of the spring and the face of the sun.

John M:
1: My partner Xris and I got to meet our tenant's new baby boy! He is PERFECT and beautiful, with a shock of jet black hair, huge dark eyes and the face of a wise old man!

2:
The crocuses (croci?) in our front yard are coming up with one little yellow and one little purple blossom so far, so spring is actually happening.

3: A dear friend and pastor colleague visited us and preached at my church yesterday, and we had a great time catching up and renewing our friendship.

All of these things have helped me shake off the seasonal depression I have been dealing with for the past few weeks! Yay!


Steve:
Yesterday: breakfast with John at a light-filled restaurant that serves up giant mugs of great coffee and perfect omelettes. Also, the flowering trees blooming all over Portland.

Today: listening to the best cuts off of the first Madonna album
(think Borderline, Holiday...) while trying to focus on writing the last paper of the term.

Garrett:
running my 2 dogs on the beach in the sun in 50 degree weather in March!

Tracy:
Not only is my Mom visiting from Oregon, we made Chicken Marsala for the first time. It tasted wonderful, along with fresh asparagus and garlic bread. Having my kids sitting at the table, along with my Mom, this was a happy moment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment